Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues.
On daily basis people suffering from this disorder will find it hard to complete basic activity due to pain like for example inability to dress up or get out of bed. A sufferer would explain the frustration of wanting to get things done however the body doesn’t allow it. This can cause mental challenges often leading to depression, anxiety. Moreover this disorder can lead to social exclusion due to the fact that one would find it mentally and physically painful to go out and be around others. One may notice that mood changes especially when the pain is constant and also there is a level of anxiety when the sufferer thinks that the pain is going to aggravate. All of this can cause the sufferer to change in the way they act around their loved ones especially finding themselves venting their frustrations onto others.
It is important to keep the below tips in mind in order to know how to act around those suffering from this condition:
- Educate yourself about the disease so you can understand better the situation
- Don’t take cancellations personally but never stop inviting them to join
- Don’t pity them! They hate it when you show them that they are victims
- Offer to help. For example : when getting dressed, reaching for things etc
- Be a good listener, show empathy and be supportive
- Make sure to take care of yourself as well
- Keep a positive attitude all around
Therisa is a psychology graduate who worked in the HR sector for the past 4 years. She decided to change her career path and thus is at present an intern at willingness and will continue to focus on psychology practices.