Summer can be a very exciting time to relax, have fun and enjoy the outdoors. Since the days in summer are longer, one might be more energetic to engage in activities than in winter. In Malta, there are a lot of events going on during the summer months with several choices where one can go to entertain themselves. Going out more frequently might mean spending more money and therefore, summer can create financial constraints. Learning how to budget is an important skill which can help you get through the summer by making the most of it and not breaking the bank. The following are a few tips to help you with budgeting in summer
- Swimming – Living on an island gives you ample opportunities to swim in the sea which in Malta is quite safe and free. If you are a pool person this comes with a price because each time you go to a pool you need to pay. Try to balance out between going to the beach and pools. Also, if you are going to a pool, check out the prices on different days and times as fees can be cheaper depending when and at what time you go.
- Food – Spending more time outside means that you are likely to spend more money on food too. If you are planning to spend a considerable amount of time away from home, you can prepare from beforehand snacks and lunch to take with you. If you are heading to the beach, a Maltese ‘ftira’ tends to be an excellent choice and it is quite cheap. If you prepare your own food, you are more likely to eat healthier options as when you are outdoors you can easily end up buying junk food.
- Alcohol – Whether you are at a party or near the beach, in summer alcohol consumption tends to increase since people engage in more social activities. Remember that to have fun you do not need to drink excessively. Try to set a limit to how much you will drink, this will not only save you money but also take care of your health. Also, do not forget that if you are going to drive you should not be drinking.
- Entertainment – There are several events going on in summer which are free. These range from music festivals to food and beer festivals. You can enjoy going to such events with your friends and family and do not really have to spend any money. You can balance out between attending events where you need to pay and those which are free and equally good. Spending time outdoors by just relaxing near the beach in the evenings and hosting BBQs can also be good fun. Usually it’s more the company that matters rather than where you go.
- ● Deals – In summer there are several companies who offer discounts. This can range from clothing shops to furniture shops. Thus, if there is an item which is essential for you to buy, try to look around as you can find discounts which can help you to save money and use it for other needs.
Dr Marilyn Muscat is registered as an Educational Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council in the United Kingdom where she trained. She works with children, adolescents and their families to understand more about educational, social and emotional well-being concerns that they have and to help them improve upon their difficulties. She can be contacted on email@example.com or call us on 79291817.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!