I was once holding a class with a group of adults. I asked them to share with me their most favourite toy from childhood. Low and behold, as each individual spoke, none of them mentioned toys. They all recalled experiences. Some talked about the great time they had playing in the streets with neighbours, some spoke of their time with the family on Saturday nights and so on. Although our loved ones shine as they tear the wrapping of a holiday gift, the present is usually secondary. Experiences are the golden jackpot. They are so important that the marketing industry uses it as a strategy to sell at every corner. Are you familiar with phrases like, “give your family a Christmas to remember. Buy ….”
So my wish today is to help you make a most memorable Christmas for your family. Instead of investing energy for shopping, get those 5 items and it will be great.
- Bake Christmas goodies with your family. Involve the kids too. Take photos and selfies.
- Watch Christmas movies snuggled on a sofa or on a comfy cushioned carpet. Take photos and selfies.
- Visit a Christmas village wearing comfortable clothes, preferably holiday themed. Take photos and selfies.
- Make an event out of putting up the Christmas tree and other decorations. If you have time, use the same decorations to decor your loved ones. Again, take photos and selfies.
Attend special events, both in their spiritual nature and also entertainment initiatives, with friends. Be careful about taking photos if you are attending a religious ceremony. Otherwise, take photos and selfies.
– Steve Libreri is a social worker and parent coach within Willingness. He offers parent coaching and social work sessions. He can be contacted on email@example.com.