Summer is with us and most families enjoy days at the sea and the great outdoors. However, it is very important that we keep safe during the long summer days:
- Apply sunscreen regularly and be aware of the total time spent in the sun
- Wear a hat to protect head and face from the sun
- Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses that protect you from UV rays and do not look directly at the sun
- Use caution in windy and cloudy days as you could still get sunburnt
It also important to prevent heat stroke and dehydration especially during activities and work carried out outside:
- Monitor your body for signs of overheating like nausea, dizziness and headaches
- Keep an abundant supply of cool water and drink regularly
- Look for the sign of heat rash and apply sun screen regularly
- Put on loose and cool clothes
Be safe during summer vacations
- If you are travelling by car be sure it is road safe before embarking on the journey
- Do not drive when feeling drowsy and take regular breaks during long haul journeys
- If travelling by airplane keep kids well occupied with games and books to be entertained during the flight
- Children, especially very young ones can get ear aches during the flight, especially on takeoff and landing. Drinking and chewing during this time can help.
- Use caution when posting on social media about your trip. Announcing to the one and all that your house is unattended can be an invitation for burglars to break in.
Summer is a great time to make beautiful memories with family and friends. So keep mindful and safe and have a great summer!!!
Anna Catania is a counsellor with Willingness. She has had a special interest in working with clients facing intimacy and sexual difficulties and runs a service for families going through cancer and chronic illness. She can be contacted on email@example.com