The upcoming festivities are a special time for loved ones to reconnect and spend time together. However, the issue sometimes arises when we don’t know what activities we can carry out with them. Thus, to eliminate that stress, here are 8 activities you can definitely make use of to reconnect with your family.
- Bake tasty cookies together and decorate them into your favourite Christmas shapes. You can even take it a step further and try have a competition of who builds the nicest gingerbread house. It will be a fun activity which everyone can enjoy eating afterwards.
- Plan a games night or build a puzzle with your loved ones. This will be a fun and interactive way for everyone to connect. If you don’t have a board game, you can even do something as simple as charades.
- Attend a Christmas panto which will surely bring about laughter for everyone. It would be an excellent way to break away from having to organise anything and keep you entertained for a few hours.
- Create sweet memories by making your own ornaments, which can be hung on the Christmas tree. Bring out all your arts and crafts to create a memorable ornament that can be remembered every year when it’s time to do the Christmas tree.
- Have a movie night with loads of popcorn, snacks, and hot cocoa. This way, everyone can feel comfortable watching a holiday movie that they all like.
- If you have young children, a fun way to spend time with them would be to build a fort out of blankets and pillows and have a family slumber party near the Christmas tree. It will be a way for everyone to ‘camp’ indoors and create fun memories.
- Create a family scavenger hunt where you hide different notes that will lead your child to finding the ultimate gift. This can be done indoors within the comfort of your own home, but it will surely still be great fun.
- Work together to create a journal of all your family milestones and memories that you’ve shared together. Someone can colour in memories; others can find family photos to stick in it and someone else can take care of writing about the experience. It will be a way for everyone to reminisce about these times and also connect.
Any of the above fun activities can help bring families together and enjoy the upcoming Christmas holidays!
If you think that you can benefit from professional support on this issue you can reach out here.
Mandy Brincat is a Gestalt psychotherapist who enjoys working therapeutically with adults on various issues. These include general mental health and wellbeing. She also has experience working with anxiety, victims of domestic violence and eating disorders.
- Papp, A. (2022, December 22). My Stories Matter. My Stories Matter Memories. https://www.mystoriesmatter.com/blog/7-fun-ways-connect-family-during-holidays
- Robbins, T. (n.d.). 25 fun holiday activities to connect with your family. Tony Robbins – The Official Website of Tony Robbins. https://www.tonyrobbins.com/wealth-lifestyle/25-free-family-holiday-activities/
10 Fun Ways To Disconnect (From Screens) And Connect (With Your Family) Over The Holidays! (n.d.). Masada. https://masadahomes.org/fun-ways-to-d