One way of setting your mind at ease about your HIV status is by doing a self-test. The BioSURE HIV Self Test kit allows you to take the test in the comfort of your own home. The test takes 15 minutes to administer and is 99.7% accurate. The BioSURE is a CE Marked Self Test meaning that it complies with European health, safety, and environmental protection standards.
How do I use the kit?
- Open the package and the box
- Open the foil packet inside
- Inside the foil packet you will find the testing devide, a safety lancet and a plaster
- Remove the buffer pot from the end of the device and place it in the hole found in the box
- Remove the cap from the safety lancet
- Place the red part of the lancet on any finger and push down until you hear a click
- If needed you can squeeze your finger to make the drop of blood bigger
- Touch the tip of your test device on the drop of blood
- Firmly push the tip of the device through the foil on the top of the buffer pot that you placed in the box earlier
- Make sure it reaches the bottom of the buffer pot to start the test
- Set a timer for 15 minutes
- After 3 minutes check to make sure the colour is moving upwards on the testing devide, if not you need to make sure the device is touching the bottom
- Open the result booklet which explains how to read the result
- Place the finished test in the cut out space in the book
- Compare the test to the images on each page
- Make sure the top line is visible as that shows the test has been done correctly
- If this is the only line visible, then the test is NEGATIVE
- If you have 2 lines, even if the bottom line is faded, then the test is POSITIVE
Here you can also find a video explaining how to use the kit.
What is the appropriate testing window for this kit?
The most ideal testing time would be 3 months after the potential exposure. This is because antibodies for HIV, which are developed after exposure appear 4 weeks after exposure in 50% of cases, after 6 weeks in 95% of cases; some people don’t develop antibodies until 12 weeks after exposure. This is therefore why it is best to rely on a negative test only if taken after 3 months/12 weeks.
What happens if the test results that you are positive?
If you were to receive a positive result you can seek the guidance of a Genito Urinary Specialist or an HIV Clinic to assist you with the way forward.
How do I purchase this kit?
- You can message 79291817 asking for the HIV Self Test Kit
- You will receive confirmation of your purchase and payment details
- Once payment is secured you will receive a message with the instructions, including google maps link to the pick up point, code for the collection box and code for your package which is discretely packed.
- This system is 100% no contact
Alternatively you can choose to book a 30 minute appointment to do the self-test together with a professional, you can do so by calling 79291817 or sending an e-mail on email@example.com.
A third option is to opt to receive the kit by post and you can do so by calling 79291817 or sending an e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sex Clinic Malta is a multidisciplinary team of professionals providing 360° care for your sexual health